“Citroen has shaken up the electric car market like no brand before”
Though very different, the stripped-out Ami’s imminent arrival in the UK means long-overdue change (and then some) for pure-EV accessibility and affordability. Bucking the tradition of EVs being almost twice the price of their ICE equivalents, the new-tech Ami is poised to start a price revolution by wading in as THE least expensive new vehicle on the market, period.
Even its old-tech sisters, the petrol Citroen C1 and Peugeot 108 (bigger four-seaters) will be more than double the price of the two-pew Ami. Another mind-blowing fact is that the price of the Smart EQ fortwo is three times higher than the Ami’s, despite both being two-seat EVs of similar size. Hopefully those Smart retail prices will tumble and align more closely with those of the less powerful, slower, cuter Ami. Even the more bike-like Renault Twizy at £12,000 seems horribly expensive next to the Ami, which looks and feels much more like a real car, albeit a slow one that’s officially a quadricycle.
A couple of changes I’d like to see before Ami sales start are tasteful ‘28MPH MAX SPEED’ stickers to warn motorists behind that even if an Ami driver has the pedal to the metal, it still can’t reach 30mph. Time for Citroen to tweak it to do so by 2022? Hope so.
Also, I hope that, further ahead, Citroen will move the steering wheel to the centre. This will have advantages in terms of safety, driving pleasure, and overall balance. Plus, two passengers could then sit either side, if slightly behind, the driver. That’s something for Citroen’s sister brands, Peugeot, Fiat, Jeep and Vauxhall, to think about since they (like Opel) will get access to the Ami’s design, tech, factory, future mods and economies of scale.
Tragically for fierce-rival firms not part of Stellantis, they do not. Apart from panicking, what the hell are they going to do now? Citroen has torn up the rule book, changed the game, declared a price war, and shaken up the EV market like no brand before. I’m loving it.
Click here for our list of the cheapest cars on sale in the UK...
- Wie man ein Fleischseil binden
- The Pros and Cons of Plastic Greenhouses: What You Need to Know
- How to Design and 3D Print a Mashup Model
- How to Start a Hardware Store
- Imperial College London & Microsoft Propose a Cheap and Accessible Method for Upgrading 3D Printers to 5 Axes
- Northern B.C. drone study aims to improve access to healthcare supplies for Indigenous communities
- Safety And Security Drones Market Size, Trends, Comprehensive Analysis, 2022-2030
- Stigmergy versus behavioral flexibility and planning in honeybee comb construction Stigmergy versus behavioral flexibility and planning in honeybee comb construction